6/25/10

nothingdoing

The title of this blog is intended to cover a couple of bases.

For most people, "nothing doing" is an idiomatic response to a request, signifying refusal; "no dice," "no way." For me, it's more akin to the Taoist spirit of wu-wei, "not doing." And since I spend a lot of time doing nothing, I thought it appropriate to reflect on that. However, I do not claim to be an authority on Taoism and do not presume to set myself up as an example of how to practice not-doing. I consider it a touchstone, nothing more.

Having the words appear run-on is intended only to set my theme apart from the idiom. Although not necessarily completely. Doing nothing will be considered, as well as the doing of no-thing. But sometimes the only reasonable response to an expectation of action is "nothing doing!"

No comments: